1. Home
Kerry Michaels

Garlic in Container Gardens

By October 19, 2009

Yeehhhaaawww! A giant cloud of guilt has lifted. I finally planted the garlic that has been sitting around, seemingly humming in a kind of bored way, waiting to be planted. My mother and kids had bought two bags of organic cloves for me as a gift. For several weeks they sat in their paper sacks, surrounded by a force field of guilt. Would I actually plant them - or get lazy and turn them into garlic bread?

Anyhow, I finally found time and energy to plant them. I planted the garlic in the large Smart Pots, that had held my potatoes, just weeks before. I took full cloves and I broke them up, choosing the fattest segments and planting them, pointed end skyward, approximately two inches beneath a mixture of soil and compost.

I have to tell you that I'm even more excited by the garlic scapes (the beautiful, twirly-whirly green shoots that emerge in the spring) than the actual potential garlic. Pesto made from garlic scapes is one of the best things I have ever eaten.

Comments

October 21, 2009 at 2:01 pm
(1) BKS says:

those cloves are very lucky to have escaped being turned into garlic bread. delicious, deeeeelicious garlic bread.

October 23, 2009 at 1:30 pm
(2) T-Rex says:

I am *very* interested in growing my own garlic in containers. So, should I be planting them in pots now, and keeping them in the basement over the winter? Would they be OK outside? Will it matter if I plant them now, or wait until Spring? I live in NE Georgia, which is Zone 7.

October 23, 2009 at 2:09 pm
(3) containergardening says:

Hi – From what I know, you plant garlic in the fall. In zone 7, you can plant from mid-October until Thanksgiving for best results. I’m leaving my containers out in the Maine winter. I may put some straw or leaves over them, but that’s about it. Make sure your containers can take freezing temps. Don’t leave out terra cotta. Some fiberglass will take the winter, but plastic can get brittle and crack.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

October 24, 2009 at 12:55 am
(4) Starrpoint says:

I have never really had much success with garlic in pots. Mostly because I need to grow so much! I usually rely on garlic chives for my potted garlic.

October 24, 2009 at 11:19 am
(5) Kerry says:

I’m hearing such great things about garlic chives. I’ve never grown them, but they are on my ever-expanding list for next year – which is getting frighteningly long. So many plants, so little time….

May 5, 2010 at 7:19 pm
(6) Maryellen says:

I was so happy to read about “garlic chives” . I think that is what I was looking for info on. I planted garlic cloves –rather small ones . They are growing nice green tops & when I tasted them , I was thrilled by the fine garlic flavor . I now use them for flavoring . I wonder why we never see them in the stores for sale –like chives -which they are similar to .