Question: Are Poinsettias Poisonous?
Answer: I love poinsettias. I particularly like the mini poinsettias I can usually find at local nurseries. They only cost a couple of bucks but make great decorations. However, many people won't buy poinsettias because they have the reputation of being poisonous. According to this article on the Fine Gardening website, poinsettias, can cause some irritation if ingested by pets, but they are not poisonous to humans. According to the article, a study determined that if a 50 lb. child ate 500 poinsettia leaves, they would experience nothing more than some indigestion. I would be amazed if a child of that size could eat 500 leaves of anything - including spinach - without getting a stomach ache.