It's easy and fun to grow sunflowers in container gardens, but not surprisingly they need lots of sun. They also like soil with good drainage and to be kept moist but not wet. They are very easy to grow from seed, but critters LOVE the seeds so make sure to protect them. Also, keep sunflowers protected from the wind.
Growing a sunflower container garden is a great project to do with kids.
A good alternative for growing sunflowers in containers is to plant dwarf sunflower varieties:
- Sunflower 'Elf' - 4 in blooms on 16 inch plant
- Sunflower 'Sunny Smile' - 5 inch blooms on a 12-15 inch plant
- Sunflower 'Choco Sun' - Less than 12 inches with multiple blooms per plant
- Sunflower 'Sundance Kid' - 2 feet tall plants that have six or more 5 inch blooms per plant
- Sunflower 'Double Dandy' - Double flowering, red dwarf sunflowers
- Sunflower 'Sunspot' - 10 inch blooms on a 2.5 foot plant