I grow lots of cucumbers. Divas are my favorites and I pick them when they are fairly young--about 4 inches long. Divas are pathenocarpic, seedless and aren't as attractive to cucumber beetles as some other varieties.
You can use any cucumber, but if they have seeds, you want to cut the cucumber in half and scoop out the seeds before you slice them.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 6-8 small cucumbers, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 Tablespoons of seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 30-40 Fresh tarragon leaves torn up
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sugar as needed
- Medium sized bowl
- First peel your cucumbers unless they are very young, thin-skinned and unwaxed. For a decorative look, you can leave some of the peel on to form stripes.
- If you are using seeded cucumbers cut them in half lengthwise and scoop seeds out with a spoon.
- Slice cucumbers into thin rounds (or half-rounds if you have had to seed them) using the slicing attachment on a food processor, amandoline or the slicing side of a food grater.
- Pour seasoned rice wine vinegar over cucumbers and gently combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add sugar if needed and stir to combine. I like my cucumber salad to be fairly tart, so only add sugar if the cucumbers are bitter or am serving it with something that would be enhanced by a sweeter salad.
- Gently stir in taragon leaves.
- Chill for at least an hour up to several hours.
If you don't have tarragon or prefer another herb, dill is delicious.
This cucumber salad is great served with almost any bar-b-q or grilled meat. I also serve it with a simple grilled fish.
Kept refrigerated it will last several days.